Cats! They rule the internet. Today probably there are more catfluencers than influencers on Instagram. And why not, those little cutie pies, they are enough to melt your heart. And perhaps the cutest of them all has to be the tiny little Munchkin cat. Those tiny toe beans, the small legs the big round eyes & the fuzzy fur. Buying your little Munchkin is quite the treat, but it is also quite expensive. For the uninitiated things can get a little tricky quite quickly. So today we will look at everything you need to be aware before purchasing a munchkin cat.
So How Much Does a Munchkin Cost?
Munchkin cats are what’s known as a pedigree breed of cat. This also means they are quite rare & naturally makes them quite expensive. So how much does a Munchkin cat cost? For reference, the average munchkin cat costs you around $800 to $1,200. This is just for starters. If you’re after pure bred exhibition quality munchkin cats, you would have to cough up upwards of $3,000!! Given the price variation, it’s good to know what exactly you should look for when buying a munchkin cat. So, let’s see what determines the price range of a munchkin cat.
- Age is one of the factors which determine the price range. Typically, younger kittens are more expensive
- Female cats also tend to be more expensive, since they have the chance of reproducing.
- Since the trademark of a munchkin cat are its tiny legs, the shorter the legs, the more expensive the kittens tend to be.
- The breeder’s reputation & experience also play a vital role in determining the overall price.
- The colour of the coat also determines the price of a kitten. Cats with interesting coats & unique colours, tend to be far more expensive, than any particular breed of the cat species.
Owning a Munchkin Cat on a Budget
If you’re one of the lucky ones you might also get to adopt a beautiful munchkin cat from your local humane shelter or even from family and friends. In that case, you’ve just saved yourself a huge chunk of change. But that’s mostly a game of luck because usually, such cat breeds either turn out to have birth defects or end up growing into different breeds of cats.
What is the monthly cost of owning a munchkin cat?
So now we know how much does a munchkin cat costs. But the cost of ownership does not stop there. Since munchkin cats are special cat breeds, they require a lot of special care and attention to grow up lively & healthy. To ensure your munchkin grows up healthy and proper, there are some other things you must keep in mind.
- For your cat to grow up healthy, you need to give it a proper healthy balanced diet. Premium cat foods are a great source of nourishment for your cat. You can atleast expect to contribute around $50 on cat nourishment a month. If you’re looking to save some money you can also opt for home-cooked meals for your munchkin cat.
- Regular vet check-ups for your cats are also really important. When you first buy your munchkin, you should get it vaccinated, tick flea & mite prevention treated & dewormed. You can also choose to have it neutered, which prevents many life-threatening diseases in the long run.
- Pet Insurance is another important expense. Depending on the policy you can cover both emergencies & regular consultations. These tend to be a bit more expensive but might end up saving you a lot of money in the long run.
When we look at the costs of Munchkin cat it is important to take a holistic approach and take into account the cost of ownership based on all these aspects.
General information on Muchkins
Are munchkin cats good as first-time pets?
Munchkin cats are friendly cat breeds which get along nicely with other pets and children. These are a great option as first-time cat pet.
What problems do munchkin cats have?
Munchkin cats are at greater risk of developing osteoarthritis. So, it is very important to keep your munchkin cat healthy and on a good diet with great exercise.
Munchkin cats are quite expensive to own as pets no doubt, but their friendly nature and cute stature more than compensates for the extra cost. In the end, you will find a friendly & cute companion whom you will adore.
Where to Buy a Munchkin Cat Near Me
We’ve spent considerable time and effort to put together lists of Munchkin cat breeders throughout the US. Click through to your state and see if you can locate a little Munchkin kitty!
|New Hampshire||New Jersey||New Mexico||New York|
|North Carolina||North Dakota||Ohio||Oklahoma|
|Oregon||Pennsylvania||Rhode Island||South Carolina|