Diazepam belongs to the benzodiazepine family is a popular medicine in humans and pets, especially in cats and dogs. But, how much Diazepam is safe for cats? In humans, the drug is used for many other health conditions; however, in cats, Diazepam is used as a sedative,anti-anxiety, muscle relaxant, anticonvulsant, and some other health issues.
Many veterinarians worldwide often prescribe Diazepam for cats to treat many feline conditions; however, every pet owner needs to learn about the safe dose, ways of administration, possible side effects, and how to deal with it.
This article is a comprehensive guide about the use of Diazepam for cats. You can use the table of content for quick navigation.
Servecats Disclaimer: All information in this article are well researched and is in the best interest of pet owners but can only be used for educational purposes and will not replace your veterinarian advice. Your veterinarian can better decide the safe dose of any medication ideally after observing your feline physically. Giving any medication without a vet prescription can be dangerous and fatal.
- What is Diazepam for cats?
- In how many forms is Diazepam Available for cats?
- Is Diazepam safe for cats?
- How much diazepam is safe for cats?
- Diazepam Tablet for cats
- Diazepam Tablet dosage chart for cats
- Diazepam Liquid Oral solution for cats
- Diazepam Liquid Dosage chart for cats
- What is Diazepam used for in cats?
- Side effects of Diazepam for Cats
- Common Brand name of Diazepam
- How to give Diazepam to cats?
- Which cats should not take Diazepam?
- Which drugs should not be given to cats parallel with Diazepam?
- Conclusion: How much Diazepam is safe for cats?
- FAQ: Diazepam for cats
- How long does Diazepam last in cats?
- Does diazepam increase appetite in cats?
- Can I give my dog 10 mg of diazepam?
- Maine Coon Breeders Nova Scotia | Kittens & Cats for Sale
- Top 4 Maine Coon Breeders in BC | Kittens & Cats for Sale
- Top 3 Maine Coon Breeders in Alberta | Kittens & Cats for Sale
- Maine Coon Breeders Ontario | Kittens & Cats for Sale
- British Shorthair Breeders Ontario | Kittens & Cats for Sale
- Munchkin Cat Breeders Alberta | Kittens & Cats for Sale
What is Diazepam for cats?
Diazepam is a commonly used veterinary medicine belonging to the benzodiazepine tranquilizer family, mainly for cats and dogs. Diazepam is not an FDA-approved drug for cats and other animals; however, many veterinarians still prescribe off the label due to its impressive properties for pets.
In cats, Diazepam is mainly used as a sedative, anti-anxiety, muscle relaxant, anticonvulsant drug and can also be used to treat other health issues, including behavioral problems such as spraying or urine mark excessive grooming, Food aggression, and stress.
Make sure to inform your veterinarians if your kitty is on other medication because Diazepam is not recommended parallel with some drugs.
In how many forms is Diazepam Available for cats?
Usually, Diazepam comes in three Forms.
- Diazepam Tablet forms (2mg, 5mg and 10mg)
- Diazepam Oral Solution Liquid form (1mg/ml and 5 mg/ml)
- Diazepam Injection (5mg/ml)
Is Diazepam safe for cats?
Yes, giving Diazepam the correct dose with veterinarian advice is safe for cats. However, there are some side effects associated with any medicine have. So make sure to give the ideal amount of medication with your vet’s advice only so How much diazepam is safe for cats?
How much diazepam is safe for cats?
The ideal and safe dose of Diazepam depends on the type of medicine. The safe dose of diazepam tablet for cats is 0.25-0.5mg/lb or 0.5-1mg/kg, and safe dosage of liquid or solution form is 0.5-1 mg/lb or 1 – 2mg/kg. Usually, veterinarians prescribe Diazepam to cats at a dose of 1-4 mg/cat orally with a time gap of 12 to 24 hours.
Please don’t exceed the dose from 4mg until your veterinarian prescribes it.
Diazepam Tablet for cats
Generally, the Diazepam tablets come in 2mg, 5mg, and 10 mg. The ideal diazepam tablet dosage for cats is 0.5-1mg/kg. Depending on which tablet you will offer, you need to find the perfect dose for your puppy and then add extra or crush the pill accordingly. You can give the tablet in your feline diet or directly. The ideal diazepam tablet dosage for cats is 0.5-1mg/kg.
Diazepam Tablet dosage chart for cats
|Cat Weight in kg||Cat Weight in lb||Tablet Diazepam Dosage|
Diazepam Liquid Oral solution for cats
Liquid diazepam is usually prescribed to cats in severe conditions such as seizures. The dose of Liquid Diazepam is generally prescribed higher than the tablet form.
Diazepam Liquid Dosage chart for cats
|Cat Weight in kg||Cat Weight in lb||1mg/ml Liquid Diazepam||5mg/ml Liquid Diazepam|
What is Diazepam used for in cats?
- Mainly Diazepam is used as a sedative and muscle relaxant for cats, especially in treating anxiety and managing excitement.
- For Felines, Diazepam is also used for anesthesia.
- Veterinarians also prescribe urine spraying and aggression medicine, such as food aggression.
Side effects of Diazepam for Cats
Below are some of the common side effects reported in cats after taking diazepam
- Increase in Appetite
- Pale gums
- Change in the behavior
- Liver illnesses
Common Brand name of Diazepam
- E Pam Tab®
How to give Diazepam to cats?
Proper administration of any veterinary medicine is essential. However, overdosing or giving the drug in an incorrect way can sometimes harm more than benefits.
Follow the below guideline to give Diazepam to your cat.
- You can give any form of Diazepam including tablet, liquid, or injection, to your tom or queen in a safe dose. But some vets don’t recommend its oral use in cats.
- You can give the medicine with or without food. However, if you observe that your kitty is not tolerating the medication on an empty stomach, then offer it in food.
- Do not give the medicine too quickly. Make sure to follow the time gape that is usually 12-24 hours or as prescribed by your veterinarian.
- Don’t stop the medication suddenly to prevent your kitty from the withdrawal effects of the medicine. Instead, follow your vet’s advice.
- Don’t give the double dose if you forgot to give the medicine. First, provide the single amount and then wait for the advised time gap.
Which cats should not take Diazepam?
Diazepam is not considered safe for all cats. Therefore, cats with the below-mentioned health issues should not take Diazepam or only take vet advice.
- Cats Allergic to Diazepam or other benzodiazepine family medicines.
- Pregnant and lactating cats
- Pets suffering from kidney and liver diseases.
- Felines suffering from Asthma or other breathing disorders.
- Kitties having health issues such as glaucoma or myasthenia gravis.
Which drugs should not be given to cats parallel with Diazepam?
Certain medicines should not be administered parallel with other drugs. Therefore, if you have started giving Diazepam to your feline, make sure not to administer or only provide the veterinarian advice on the below-mentioned drugs and vice versa. Source VCA Hospital
- CNS depressant
- Antihypertensive agents
- Carbonic anhydrase inhibitors
- Hepatic enzyme inducers
- Neuromuscular blockers
- Valproic acid
Conclusion: How much Diazepam is safe for cats?
Long story short, Diazepam is safe for your cat with the veterinarian prescription. Remember overdosing on Diazepam is toxic and could be fatal for your feline friend. Always give the safe and ideal dose correctly with the required time gape.
FAQ: Diazepam for cats
How long does Diazepam last in cats?
Usually, the diazepam will remain effective in cats for 5.5–20 hours. But not more than 24 hours. However, the medicine may last longer in cats having kidney or liver issues.
Does diazepam increase appetite in cats?
Yes, an increase in appetite is among the side effects of diazepam in cats, especially when administered IV. For safety precaution, make sure to keep some feline food before giving the medication.
Can I give my dog 10 mg of diazepam?
Overdosing of diazepam is toxic and can be fatal. Make sure to give the medication in the safe amount only. Providing 10mg of diazepam to your cat is too much.