Ivermectin for cats, is a well-known macrocyclic lactone antiparasitic drug for felines commonly used to treat and control nasty parasites including gastrointestinal parasites, skin parasites, and bloodstream parasites in cats.
Knowing about the safe dosage, benefits, side effects, and safety tips for administration is essential. Administrating the wrong dose to the wrong pet in the wrong ways may cause health concerns.
- Ivermectin is an antiparasitic FDA-approved medication for cats that works by causing neurologic damage to the parasite and leading them to death.
- The most popular brands of drugs for feline use are Ivomec® Heartgard®, Iverhart® Zimectrin® and Eqvalan®.
- Ivermectin is commonly used to treat gastrointestinal parasites, skin parasites, and bloodstream parasites and is a proven treatment option for the treatment of heartworm and ear mites.
- It can not be used for the treatment of tapeworms and liver flukes in cats.
- In cats, ivermectin is also used at extra-label doses to treat ectoparasites.
- Ivermectin is not an ideal medicine for the treatment of fleas and ticks in felines. We suggest going with the safe choice.
- The medicine should only be used with the veterinarian’s advice.
Ivermectin Dosage For Cats
According to veterinarians, the safe Ivermectin dosage for cats is 0.024 mg/kg (0.012 mg/lb) once in a month for the treatment and prevention of heartworms. Cats can tolerate an Ivermectin dose of 0.2 mg/kg (not recommended) orally or subcutaneously; however, to avoid any health complications, make sure to follow your vet’s advice.
Your vet can increase or decrease the amount of the drugs, depending on the type of parasite being treated and the severity of the infection.
The wrong use of Ivermectin can be fatal for your pet. Make sure to use the medicine with your vet’s prescription only.
Ivermectin For Cats Dosage Chart
|3 kg||7 lb||0.072 mg|
|5 kg||11 lb||0.12 mg|
|8 kg||18 lb||0.19 mg|
|12 kg||26 lb||0.28 mg|
|15 kg||33 lb||0.36 mg|
|20 kg||44 lb||0.48 mg|
|25 kg||55 lb||0.6 mg|
How Does Ivermectin Work?
After administering, Ivermectin starts its work by paralyzing the parasite, damaging its neurological system and killing them.
Parasites in cats for which Ivermectin can be used
In felines, Ivermectin can be used for the treatment of:
Ivermectin side effects in cats
Reported side effects of Ivermectin are:
- Vomiting & Diarrhea
- Lack of coordination
- Mouth Foaming
- Pale Gums
- Dilated pupils
- Irregular berating
Ivermectin overdose in cats
Overdosing of Ivermectin in cats is toxic and can lead to severe health issues.
Ivermectin overdose symptoms in cats are:
- Absence of reflexes
- Paralysis in the hind legs
Which cats should not take Ivermectin?
Felines hypersensitive and allergic to the medications should not take Ivermectin. Lactating, pregnant, newborn kittens and cats with health problems such as liver, kidney, and heart should not use the medicine without vet advice.
You May Also Like To Read: