I had an assignment recently to research 30
As they weren’t being published elsewhere I have permission to publish them myself, so I decided to put them into this article.
So, if you’re looking for interesting facts to impress your friends, maybe you’re looking up questions for a quiz, or you’re just interested in learning about cats – whatever the reason, hopefully you’ll find some interested nuggets in this list!
30 (Interesting) Facts About Cats
- Cats cannot move their jaws in a sideways motion like we can, which is why they rip at large pieces of meat rather than chewing large chunks.
- Despite what we see and hear on TV, cow’s milk isn’t good for cats as most adult cats are lactose intolerant.
- A cat’s sense of smell is around fourteen times the strength of ours.
- Cats have three eyelids, you might notice this if you look at the corner of their eyes and see the light colored lid that helps protect their eye.
- Ever wondered how many hairs cats have? A rough estimate is that cats have around 130,000 hairs per sq. in.
- Cats can move their ears 190 degrees and independently of each other.
- Calico color cats are (almost) always female – here’s why.
- The official word for a group of kittens is Kindle.
- The official word for a group of adult cats is Clowder.
- Cat’s collarbones are no connected to their shoulders like ours our, which is why they can fit through tiny spaces the width of their bodies.
- Cat’s tongues have hundreds of little hooks on that comb through their fur when they’re grooming.
- Cats have more bones than we do, we have 206 and they have 230, with 19-23 bones being in their tails.
- Kittens have 26 baby teeth, and adult cats have 30 teeth.
- Cats sleep for around 70% of their lives – think about how much they miss out on!
- Cats are the lone mammals lacking the gene that enables them to taste sweet things.
- The world record for the longest recorded domestic cat was a massive 48.5 inches!
- Owning a cat is actually good for your health, it helps you relax, reduces stress, heart disease, and more.
- Cats are smarter than dogs – they can solve more complex cognitive problems.
- Cats can jump up to six times their length high (not the lazy fat ones of course!)
- The first cat to be sent up into space (yes, a cat went into space) was called Felicette.
- Cats were worshiped in ancient Egypt, even being regarded as symbols of divinity.
- When cats bring dead animals home they are offering you gifts and showing you they are better than you at hunting.
- The largest recorded litter is 19! Imagine adding 19 kittens to the home! Terrifying.
- Adult cats only meow to communicate with humans, it’s not ‘cat talk’ that means anything between themselves.
- Male cats are typically lefties, and female cats are more often than not righties. Strange but true.
- A tragic but true one – the CIA spent around $20 million in the 1960s trying to train a cat to be a spy – the cat got ran over before it could complete its mission.
- Cats have been known to return to their home after being dropped off miles away, this is believed to be due to them using a 6th sense and the earth’s magnetic field.
- The oldest cat on record was called Creme Puff and lived for 38 years and 3 days!
- The heaviest (fattest) cat on record was called Himmy, and he was a massive 46.8lbs, that’s 21.3 kilos.
- The reason cats don’t like water is that it’s difficult for them to dry themselves and they love body temperature quickly when wet.
Thanks for checking out this list of cat facts. If you have any other interesting facts you want to add for others to read, just drop me a comment below. Thanks.