Looking for names for cats with extra toes?
If you’re the proud owner of a cat with six-toes, or even more than six, then you have what’s known as a polydactyl cat.
Cats are supposed to have 5 toes on each front paw, and 4 on each hind paw. A cat with polydactylism, however, commonly has 6 toes on each front paw, or more than 6.
A special and unique cat deserves an equally special and unique name – so I’m happy to be able to help you find the perfect name for your feline blessed with extra digits.
Below you’ll find a long list of unique, funny, cute, and a bunch of regular names for your cat with extra toes:
Funny Names for Cats With Extra Toes
If you want to give your polydactyl cat a name that relates to the uniqueness of them having extra toes, here are some to consider:
- Hemingway – Ernest Hemingway is famous for his love of cats, and more specifically his polydactyl cats.
- Polly – Short for ‘polydactyl’, simple but effective.
- Digits – If your cat has extra digits, why not call them digits?
- Skipper – Sailors used to take polydactyl cats to sea with them as they believed they would bring good luck.
- Toes – Again, an obvious one but makes for a fun name.
- Six – If they have six toes on their front paws, then this will make sense.
- Freak – It’s not as rude as it sounds… when used in a lighthearted way.
- Lucky – Pretty lucky to be born with an extra toe or more, isn’t it!
- Thumbelina – Named after the story/film.
- Paws – I have a friend with a polydactyl cat that has this name, so it has to be on the list.
- Ender – A Turkish word meaning ‘very rare’.
- Dedos – The Spanish word for ‘fingers’.
- Miracle – It’s somewhat of a miracle, so why not call them a Miracle.
- Santa Paws – This name is perfect if you’re picking up your cat around the Christmas period.
- Many – No matter how many toes your cat has, the name Many has it covered.
- Tootsie – A cute word kids use for feet or toes.
- Sechs – German for the number six, which I think sounds cool.
- Paddles – This was the name of a polydactyl cat owned by the Prime Minister of New Zealand.
Nicknames for Cats With Extra Toes
Polydactyl Cats have a bunch of well-known nicknames. You may or may not want to use these as their actual names, but either way, it’s interesting to know what they are:
- Conch cats
- Boxing cats
- Mitten cats
- Digit cats
- Mitten-foot cats
- Thumb cats
- Cardi cats
- Six-fingered cats
- Snowshoe cats
- Hemingway cats
Cool Male Polydactyl Cat Names
Here is a list of cool names that work well for male cats with extra toes, no matter how many toes they have:
Cool Female Polydactyl Cat Names
Here is a list of cool names that work well for female cats with extra toes, no matter how many toes they have:
Are Polydactyl Cats Rare?
Polydactyl cats are not that rare. If you want to deliberately find one, it shouldn’t be too difficult to find one in need of a home.
Interestingly, the genetic trait that causes polydactylism is more commonly found in cats in North America, as well as England and Wales.
What Do You Name a Cat With Six Toes?
I’d love to hear from anyone who has named a cat with 6-toes what name you went with!
Personally, I’ve only known three people with polydactyl cats and they went with fairly routine names like Paws, Toes, and Bill!
You don’t have to name a polydactyl cat something that relates to their extra digits, so don’t put any pressure on yourself to come up with a cute or funny name.
Most owners just go with whatever name they like the sound of or feel like it suits their kitty.
Didn’t find what you’re looking for? Here are some more lists of fun and interesting kitty names:
- 100+ Names for Cats With Big Ears!
- 250+ Names for Cats With White Paws! (Yes – ‘Boots’ Is One of Them!)
- 400+ Cat Names Ending in ‘IE’ or ‘Y’
Image credits – Photo by Milada Vigerova on Unsplash