My Cat Licked Peppermint Oil

My Cat Licked Peppermint Oil

Peppermint oil is toxic to cats. If your cat has licked peppermint oil there is a chance it will fall sick, and how sick depends on how much it has ingested.

As a responsible owner, you need to take your cat to the vet as soon as possible. Even if there are no signs of your cat being sick, I would still take them as they are great at hiding how ill they are.

A vet will likely take a blood sample to test for elevated levels of any harmful compounds and advise you of anything you need to do in the meantime.

To understand more about peppermint oil and why it’s dangerous for cats, read on…

Why Is Peppermint Oil Toxic to Cats?

Essential oils are extremely powerful in their concentrated state. They smell strong to us, so imagine how strong they are to a cat’s sensitive nose.

On top of the sensitive sense of smell, cats lack an important enzyme in their livers that we, and other animals have to break down the properties of certain essential oils.

Their liver’s function very differently to ours. Compounds in the oils will build up in their liver and they will gradually become sick, and it can even lead to death.

Some oils can also affect their nervous system just from being breathed in. Cat’s should not come into contact with peppermint oil through breathing, contact on their skin, or by ingesting.

What Are the Signs of Toxic Poisoning in Cats?

As I mentioned above, cats are pretty good at hiding when they are sick unless they are vomiting.

However, symptoms to look out for include:

  • Lethargic behavior and sleeping  more than usual
  • Vomiting
  • Diarrhoea
  • Signs of confusion or dizziness
  • Redness around their mouth, nose, or eyes
  • Pawing at their face
  • Meowing (if that’s unusual for your cat)
Skip to content