If you’re wondering, can cats eat grapes? The answer is no.
Cats should never eat grapes, or raisins for that matter as both of these are potentially very dangerous.
Cats are very sensitive to the toxins in grapes and raisins. It causes kidney failure at worst, and painful stomach upsets at best.
It’s true that some cats will not be affected by eating grapes. All cats are different, and while it’s not known exactly why certain cats will eat grapes or raisins and be fine it’s not a risk to take.
While on the topic, grapes are toxic to a lot of animals, such as dogs. So, if this has come as news to you start being more mindful when keeping fruit out where cats and dogs can get to the grapes.
What to Do If Your Cat Eats Some Grapes
A cat that has eaten some grapes will usually vomit within a few hours of digesting them as their body rejects the grapes.
Other possible side-effects that you may see over the next 12-24 hours include:
- Stomach pain
- Lethargic behavior
- Loss of appetite
If you think or know your cat has eaten grapes you should take them to the vets. It’s very important a vet is able to examine your cat before they get sick.
A vet will typically induce vomiting to get as much of the undigested grapes out, then use a treatment that absorbs toxins that are remaining in your cat.
If you notice any of the above symptoms before realizing they have eaten grapes, you need to get your kitty to the vets ASAP.
Don’t wait to see if they improve or if the symptoms worsen, get them to the vets!